Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Is Afrikaans in danger of dying out?

Having been born and brought up in South Africa, I learned Afrikaans as a second language at school! My first language and mother tongue was/is English and, even after having lived in Sweden for soon 35 years and learning the language, I still think in and njoy it best!
Lately however, I rediscovered Afrikaans as I listen in to a radio station called RSG and it broadcasts, for the most part, in that language!
To my amazement I found that I'm very comfortable with both hearing and understanding it and even speaking it and texting in it!
I do hear tho that younger speakers tend to mix it up with English and call it Efrikaans as I call my mix of Swedish/English 'Swenglish'.

Thought this is an interesting article and I myself hope that Afrikaans doesn't disappear!!

Is Afrikaans In Danger of Dying Out?

No comments:

Post a Comment