Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008

John Denver: 'A Song For All Lovers'

- Mardie Murie

-
'A Song For All Lovers'

########

John Denver's Last Song

'ON THE WINGS OF A DREAM'


Yesterday I had a dream about dying



About laying to rest and then flying


How the moment at hand


is the only thing we really own


And I lay in my bed and I wondered


After all has been said and is done for


Why is it thus we are here


and so soon we are gone


Is this life just a path to the place


that we all have come from


Does the heart know the way


and if not, can it ever be found


In a smile or a tear or a prayer


or a sigh or a song


And if so, then I sing for my father


And in truth you must know I would rather


He were here by my side


We could fly on the wings of a dream


To a place where the spirit would find us


And the joy and surrender would bind us


We are one anyway


Anyway we are more than we seem


There are those who will lead us


Protect us each step of the way


From beginning to end


For each moment, forever each day


Such a gift has been given


It can never be taken away


Though the body in passing must leave us


There is one who remains to receive us


There are those in this life


who are friends from our heavenly home


So I listen to the voices inside me


For I know they are there just to guide me


And my faith will proclaim it is so


We are never alone


From the life to the light


From the dark of the night to the dawn


He is so in my heart


He is here, he could never be gone


Though the singer is silent


There still is the truth of the song


In the song


Yesterday I had a dream about dying


About laying to rest and then flying


How the moment at hand


Is the only thing we really own


And I lay in my bed and I wonder


After all has been said and is done for


Why is it thus we are here


And so soon we are gone


Oh, why is it thus we are here


And so soon we are gone

No comments:

Post a Comment