Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2014

Menstruation: No Menstrual Hygiene For Indian Women Holds Economy Back


I came across this article today and thought about the time when my menstrual cycle started at the age of 12 yrs..58 yrs ago to date!

I lived in South Africa at the time and the subject wasn't exactly taboo but my mother was reluctant to discuss it with me except to present me with a pad and belt and explain to me how the two worked together to make things a little easier to cope with.
Fortunately these pads were disposable so, at least, I didn't have to wash them

I attended a convent school run by Catholic nuns and I did notice that the convent washline
sometimes had many pad-like articles hanging on it so I surmised that nuns also were subjected to the monthly 'curse'..as it was known.

Keeping the fact that one had begun to get the 'curse' was a real hassle as there were boy pupils attending the school as well and they would tease and harrass any victim they caught out!
I was relieved to go to an all girl boarding school from age 13.

I truly empathise with all girls and women around the world who suffer from the taboos that surround a perfectly normal act of nature and would like to point out to the ignorant males in a global society that, in case they didn't know it, without the menstrual cycle, their birth would not have taken place.


No menstrual hygiene for Indian women holds economy back

No comments:

Post a Comment